Sunday, June 05, 2005

Yo, where my peaches at?!

My will to blog has been developing slowly as I have been reading other people's blogs -- my friends' and famous people's. All right, maybe not Jesus or Beatles famous, but more famous than me. In fact, my blog name blatantly rips off OK Go's blog (http://thewilltorock.blogspot.com). OK Go is a great (and "famous") band from Chicago that I like. I decided on the quasi-plagiarism after discovering that my first-choice name (http://dartsofpleasure.blogspot.com -- blatantly ripped off my favorite Franz Ferdinand song) was taken. I like this current blog name much better. Thanks, OK Go!

As an amateur humanist/social scientist (or, if you prefer less pretentious terms, a frighteningly over-qualified potential stalker), I like learning about people's lives - those I know personally or through history/media. I love reading blogs. However, I've been loath/loth (see comments) to blog myself. Besides the fact that people can potentially stalk me (hey, this is a one-way street, baby...), it seems that a lot of blogs are very complaint heavy, even if they are amusing. Knowing the person I am (er, because I'm me), I can see my posts degenerating into massive bitchfests. For example, a rant about how my fruit-on-the-bottom yogurt this morning was distinctly lacking peaches even after vigorous stirring. Or an irrevelant and pretentious philosophical musing à la Seinfield, except completely devoid of humor ("Why...do people wear pants?"). Boring others with my own feigned self-importance seems selfish. Plus, the thought of exposing my crappy writing, mispellings, and improper punctuation to readers is wholly intimidating, not to mention scarring to my title of 4th Grade Class Spelling Bee Champion. Of course, this is assuming that people will even read this blog. Pretty darn presumptuous and self-important of me, huh?

Anyhoo, I have decided to embark on this blogging endeavor mostly because of one reason: at the end of Summer 2005, I will be chucking my job and pursuing a year of income-less wanderlust. Kind of like Gauguin, except sans the trysts with adolescent Tahitians and syphilis (I hope). I wanted a way to let my friends and family know that I would be a-OK during my solo travels. I also thought that blogging would be a great way of sharing my new cultural and personal experiences with others. I am beginning to post a little in advance of my exit from Chi-town so that I may experiment with Blogger and make this experience - both aesthetically and content-wise - as painless as possible for any readers.

So this I pledge to you: I will try my very best not to complain about the inanities of life such as lack of peaches at the bottom of yogurts. What you will actually get is much less certain, but thus begin my blogging (mis?)adventures. Get used to the writing style as demonstrated in the title of this post: inappropriate colloquialisms, phrases that end with prepositions, and enthusiastic overuse of punctuation marks. Whee!! See what I'm talking about?

10 Comments:

At Sun Jun 05, 03:01:00 PM, Blogger Casey said...

Welcome to blogging! I've added you to my favorites.

 
At Wed Jun 08, 12:01:00 PM, Blogger Natalia said...

Maria discovered that fruit-on-the-bottom yogurt is actually best when you don't stir in the fruit. The result is a subtly flavored, not-too-sweet snack. Of course, at a certain point, you reach a gelatinous layer of "fruit" that's most displeasing. It takes a certain familiarity with the yogurt of choice to stop eating at the right place. But that's my recommendation to you. Weep over your peaches no more.

Speaking of peaches, I got some tomatoes today of a variety known as "momotaro." You know who Momotaro is, don't you? That's right, the peach-boy of Japanese legend. The tomatoes are pinkish and sweet. Yum.

Anyway, thanks for letting me in on your top-secret blog. You're welcome to read mine, though it's primarily constituted by the bitching you bemoan in your post. And thanks for the article!

 
At Thu Jun 09, 01:04:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Does everyone have a blog now? Geez. I feel very unhip and my use of the word 'unhip' only serves to exacerbate the matter.

I have a question, YuhChic. What is 'loth'? Is it a hidden desire fervently denied by the self? Is it an extra slow sloth? Or is it a GIANT RED SQUIGGLY LINE SIGNALLY THE END OF YOUR FASCIST SPELLING BEE REIGN?!?! Or is it a variation on 'loath' that is recognized by the Merriam-Webster Unabridged dictionary? I think I've made my point.

 
At Thu Jun 09, 03:40:00 AM, Blogger Natalia said...

Oh, Xiao. That was brilliant.

 
At Thu Jun 09, 04:16:00 AM, Blogger YDubL said...

Well, no winners or losers here. :)


loath also loth (adj.)
Unwilling or reluctant; disinclined: I am loath to go on such short notice.

[Middle English loth, displeasing, loath, from Old English lth, hateful, loathsome.]


Geez, you know how anal I am about spelling...did you really think I wouldn't check first?

 
At Fri Jun 10, 02:27:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

You know, the fundamental problem I have with blogs (and bloggers) is the basic assumption that people actually give a shit about what you do, feel, think, and every little bit of minutiae that happens in your life.

Why can't you just perpetuate this assumption without a blog like I do?!?!?! :o)

BTW, appoggiatura......A-P-P-O-G-G-I-A-T-U-R-A. You might want to consider becoming a 13 year-old Indian kid and entering the spelling bee. Those cards they place around the kids necks are nifty.....When I grow up, I want to go to Bovine University!

 
At Fri Jun 17, 01:29:00 AM, Blogger dirteens said...

yuhchic - i am so psyched to see that you have a blog. this is just fantastic news. given that i'm at work i shouldn't write more but i am happy to know that we now have a convenient forum to keep in touch. wahoo!

 
At Tue Jul 13, 05:28:00 PM, Blogger Ashley Furniture said...


Virgin River season 4
Virgin River season 4 was announced to have its shooting begin in late July, right after the sudden release of season 3 on Netflix that was not in the notice of the audience and that’s why everyone predicts that Netflix is going to do the same for Virgin River season 4

 
At Wed Dec 08, 06:37:00 PM, Blogger seo said...

Best content & valuable as well. Thanks for sharing this content.
Approved Auditor in DAFZA
Approved Auditor in RAKEZ
Approved Auditor in JAFZA
i heard about this blog & get actually whatever i was finding. Nice post love to read this blog
Approved Auditor in DMCC

 
At Wed Dec 08, 06:37:00 PM, Blogger seo said...

Good luck & keep writing such awesome content.

Virgin Linseed Oil BP
flaxseed oil

 

Post a Comment

<< Home