Friday, June 13, 2008

The sun sets on Ürümqi...


My 4-some months living in Ürümqi will soon be finished: my internship has ended, and I will return to Beijing tomorrow.

I really enjoyed my time in Ürümqi and Xinjiang. There are lots of things I will miss.

For one, I'm apparently missing the Olympic Torch Relay, which will pass through Ürümqi (right by my work and apartment!) in just a few days. No one actually knows when it is coming actually, because it's SECRET! In case Uyghur nationalists decide to sabotage the torch relay, I guess. Sigh. Well, at least I get to see the preparations!

Flags are starting to line the entire route of the relay...


And large, tetanus-inducing barriers have been erected along the road, presumably to keep the crowd as far, far away as possible from the Olympic flame.
My coworkers told me not to feel bad about missing the Torch Relay, since I probably wouldn't be able to see anything anyway. I guess I feel better. Plus, they'll just televise the relay anyway (really!).

Honestly, though, there is so much I will miss about Xinjiang. For one, the food! Like my favorite, tomato and egg laghman (hand-pulled noodles), from my favorite little restaurant (only 8 RMB for a huge plate!).


Nang
bread from my downstairs nang guy (1 RMB).


Incredible fruit (Xinjiang is a friggin' fruit wonderland...and strawberry and peach season have just passed...).


I'll also miss the diversely beautiful landscapes of Xinjiang, a few of which I've been lucky enough to see in person, such as the deserts of the Turpan basin.


Alpine lakes like Lake Sayram near the Tian Shan Mountains in Northern Xinjiang.


And other beautiful lakes, like Tianchi Lake ("Heaven Lake") closer to Ürümqi.


Heck, I'll even miss the ever-present camels that are (apparently!) supposed to remind me that Xinjiang is a part of the ancient Silk Road. OK, camels=Silk Road. I get it, I get it! ^_^


I'll miss the rose garden that I pass everyday on the way to the office.


I'll miss my dinky little desk.


I'll miss my co-workers and friends.


I'll miss blue skies.


But, most of all, I'll just miss being here.

1 Comments:

At Wed Jun 18, 05:17:00 PM, Blogger Joey said...

Oh! I want to go! It's absolutely stunning! China's landscapes really are as diverse as they come, huh?

I do enjoy Seoul, as you said I would. For one thing, it's mercifully much, much cooler than Shanghai or Beijing hehe. And gosh, the clothes! The shoes! The food! (Same for BJ and SH, of course). I never want to leave Asia. lol

 

Post a Comment

<< Home