Tuesday, December 25, 2007

Christmas (and Christians) in Seoul


Nutcracker is also sad that Christmas is just a tool of the Man in South Korea.



Merry Christmas! I'm blogging to the sound of some Christmas caroling outside. Rudolph the Red-nosed Reindeer in Korean. Cute. ^_^

Still, you'd think in the most Christian country in East Asia, Christmas might be a bigger deal than just a day off. Apparently not. Of course, I'm sure that depending on one's faith, this differs. But most of the people I know (my church-going friends and their youth group friends) see Christmas as simply a day off. Christmas is not necessarily spent with family, either. I've been informed that restaurants and shops will be doing business as usual - and actually it's quite a good day for business because everyone is out and about. Hmmm, OK. So it's just like when Chinese restaurants and movie theaters in New York are really busy on Christmas. Ooookeeeey.

Still, with all the churches around Seoul, there's enough lovely reminders of why Christmas exists in the first place.


Asian-looking Jesus in front of (Catholic) Myeongdong Cathedral's draped chapel (clever way to hide the facade work being done to the church!).



Nativity scene in front of Myeongdong Cathedral.



And, just like any other big city, I just think Seoul looks a little prettier during the holiday season, whether or not people are celebrating Christmas.



Bright, non-denominational (as far as I can tell...) holiday lights around Cheonggye Stream in central Seoul.



So back to the topic of Christianity...yeah, maybe you didn't know that South Korea is actually about 30% Christian. Yup! And according to a recent Economist article, 5 of the world's 10 largest megachurches are in South Korea. Scholars have theorized why Christianity took hold so strongly in Korea as opposed to Japan and China (both traditionally hard nuts to crack). Andrew E. Kim suggests that western religions like Protestantism were easily to transplant into Korea because the belief system simply adapted to existing Korean shamanist traditions. Whatever the reason, it has made some sights I've encountered in Seoul quite interesting. Maybe it's unlikely I would find them so easily elsewhere in Asia...?


Our Lady.




Worshippers sitting at the Catholic prayer grotto of Myeongdong Cathedral.




The church in front of Yonsei University that I pass by everyday and oddly do not know anything about.





Wha...? I dunno, either.



Merry Christmas / Happy Hanukkah / Happy Kwaanza / Happy Holidays / Happy New Year...however you choose to celebrate it. ^_^

2 Comments:

At Tue Dec 25, 05:20:00 AM, Blogger Joey said...

OMG Altar Boyz is this hilarious off-broadway musical. I saw it in NYC a few years back... it's in Korean now? Heehee

Premise: Jesus-lovin boy band a la N'Sync and the such.

Great hits: "Jesus called me on my cellphone..." or "God put the rhythm in me..."

Heeehee

 
At Tue Dec 25, 09:07:00 AM, Blogger YDubL said...

Actually, all of the major musicals have been adapted for a Korean audience. "Mama Mia" is popular, and I think "Hairspray" just opened. "Grease", too. I know, weird. ^_^

 

Post a Comment

<< Home