Thursday, June 23, 2005

Gaaah! And life revolves around a stupid ball for another night...

Pistons beat the Spurs. That means Game 7 for the whole bag o' chips on Thursday. That means me arranging my life around the NBA finals for another night. Game 5 (OT) almost gave me a heart attack, Game 6 was excellent and all these darn games are pretty late. So sleepy...just wanna sleep. I further lament that the TV commentary is quite sucky and they keep playing a Rob Thomas song ("This is How A Heart Breaks") at inappropriate times. Way to kill any enjoyment I may have had for Top 40 radio, ABC. Thanks!

I'm rooting for Detroit, but mostly because I've realized that I'm cheering for anything vaguely Midwestern now (it must be the already-rising nostalgia from having to leave soon). Plus I kinda like the bad-ass, working-class charm of the Detroit team. I'll try to forget the fact that they actually play in Auburn Hills, which is a fairly ritzy suburb 30 miles outside the city, thereby depriving Detroit of some much-needed economic development. I'll steer clear of further social commentary, though!

Not that I have anything against the San Antonio Spurs (besides the fact they are from Texas). They're actually a really laid-back team who are really excellent - me likey. I like Tim Duncan, because who doesn't appreciate a quiet, hard-working, and humble superstar? And the international players are fun to watch, because who doesn't like spazzy Argentinian point guards and French dudes who have sweet floaters and date Desperate Housewives?

Incidentally, there was an nifty commentary on the NBA (its stars, the post-season, etc.) on NPR today. Gosh I love Frank Deford.

I think people are surprised to hear that I follow or even like sports...'cuz I'm a D-O-R-K (kindly refer to NPR link above). Well, those who can't play (i.e., me), watch. Obsessively. To the point where they fall asleep at work. I'm pretty open to enjoying all sports, with the exception of American football (I have struggled in vain to appreciate it, but I just can't seem to. Downs?!? What?!?!), NASCAR and golf (my dislike of the latter two are because of all the obvious reasons).

3 Comments:

At Thu Jun 23, 04:40:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Um, who cares about basketball when Wimbledon just started this week? :o) Too bad I couldn't use all my vacation days for the entire two weeks....man, I miss shitty retail jobs that allow you to do that.....I might take Monday off. All Round-of-16 matches (if there's no rain delays). Ahhh.....Wimbledon.....and poo to work for preventing me staring at tennis all day.....

 
At Thu Jun 23, 12:31:00 PM, Blogger Natalia said...

Um, is this... basketball you're talking about? I'm puzzled.

 
At Thu Jun 23, 01:18:00 PM, Blogger YDubL said...

Yes, Wimby started! I'll probably just watch the finals and just read the results. I see that the American men are sucking it up and that they are ready to crown Strawberry Nose already. So far, I think Maria Sharapova's blingy shoes have gotten more press than most of the players.

Natalia, I apologize for springing this "basketball" thing on you. Only non-academic losers like me care about such frivolities. Other peeps like my little sister like more bourgeois sports like tennis. :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home