Sunday, November 11, 2007

11/11: Happy Pepero Day!



To those "in the know" about Asian snacks (Asian-Ams, you know I'm looking at you!), try to not freak out when I tell you that there is no Pocky here in South Korea. But never fear - you've got Pepero here - another product from the ubiquitous Lotte brand.

Pepero Day is a "Hallmark holiday" of sorts here (although I guess you could call it a Lotte Holiday, as if they needed any other product in the Korean market...). See, Pepero is a biscuit stick dipped in chocolate, so the date 11/11 (if you don't count the forward slash as a slanted Pepero) looks like four of these beloved little stick snacks! It seems to have taken on the role of Valentine's Day here in Korea, and it's not just a money-maker for Lotte - just about every bakery and sweet shop may sell their own (hand made! giant!) biscuit sticks dipped in chocolate. My roommate spent six hours hand-dipping her own Peperos for her boyfriend. That's love...especially since Pepero (all brands!) are on sale (half-price!!!) this week. I stocked up. :)

I'll hand it to the folks at Lotte that this is a clever little piece of marketing. But I guess it's a little weird for me that Koreans will be obsessed with stuffing biscuit sticks in their mouths when it's, like, the anniversary of the end of World War I. Eh, whatever.

I wonder what will happen in 2011? 11/11/11?!?! Korea will drown in Peperos!

PS For those wondering, Pepero tastes exactly like Pocky! But I guess imitation is the best form of flattery, no?

1 Comments:

At Tue Nov 13, 11:47:00 AM, Blogger Joey said...

mmmm! foreign candies! delish!

man, i've been stuffing myself since being in toronto with all these asian candies. currently these "nutritional bars" (totally not nutritious at all) are my weakness. imagine a cheetoh stuffed with cream filling. SO GOOD!

mmmmmmm

re your last post, are koreans really tall? reallly????

 

Post a Comment

<< Home