Wednesday, November 02, 2005

"I survived the walkway"

Happy November, everybuddy.

I'm in Cape Coast, which is just about 3 hours away from Accra and a quaint town that used to be the seat of British colonial rule back in the day. After my vacation got hijacked by illness, I decided that I still wanted to see some stuff, so I came here. It's been great! I went to Cape Coast Castle, which is probably the most famous slave castle in Ghana (and Africa?). It was scary...

Also scary, in a more immediate way, was the rainforest canopy walk at Kakum National Park, one of four in the whole wide world. I walked across 7 rickety rope/wood/metal bridges that were about 12 inches wide, 40 meters above the rainforest ground. DOPE. Despite some vertigo (seriously) and fears of dying (naturally...but I'm old hat now), "I survived the walkway," in the words of the cheesy T-shirt that I didn't buy from the gift shop.

The hotel I stayed at was loverly, too - owned by a really cute Ghanaian-American couple who recently moved back after 35 years in (of all places) Oklahoma. I also added another great culinary experience to my Ghanaian trip: fresh grilled snapper (Cape Coast is a big fishing town). YUM.

I'm going to try to post some pictures (and videos!) when I get back to Accra. In the meantime, it's a mad dash to blog as much as possible before I leave Ghana on Sunday. Somehow, blogging from NJ doesn't seem quite so exotic!

1 Comments:

At Fri Nov 04, 02:16:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey YW! Just read your last few entries to catch up on your adventures abroad and now you've officially made me hungry (and it's not even close to lunchtime!), uh, very bad. Good to hear you're having fun over there. Post pics soon!

PS-the security word I have to type to submit this entry is "zthinwet". HAHA. I'm amused.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home