Friday, October 21, 2005

Back from the edge of the world (and the brink of disaster)

I’m back in Accra from Larabanga village in the Northern Region. An adventure indeed. I was about 10 miles away from the nearest phone and a good 3-4 hours from any Internet connection. I return to the “big” city with a fair lower standard of personal hygiene and a much greater appreciation for running water. After being disconnected from the outside world, I’m also glad to hear about the Chicago White Sox making the World Series (!!!), but quite depressed to hear about news of earthquakes and (yet more) hurricanes.

I initially decided to cut my trip short because I ran out of camera batteries (and what’s a good Asian tourist without camera in tow, anyway?). However, it turns out the return trip was well-planned. About 2 hours before I got on the 12-hour bus ride to Accra, I got sick. How sick? Well, not to worry anyone, but really really sick…and, for those who know me, that is really saying something. I was worried it was malaria, typhoid, dengue fever, meningitis…or really any other disease you’d rather not think about. I figured at this point it was probably good that I was returning to Accra, where hospital care is far better (thanks to the significant obruni population). Plus, I visited a rural hospital while in the Northern Region and remained scarred because I think I saw a baby die. :(

Anyhoo, it was the longest 12-hour ride of my life, peppered throughout with half-delirious promises to God of what I would do if he let me live, ranging from the sincere to slightly absurd (spend more time at home, do more volunteer work, not eat anymore sugar, etc.).

I luckily made it back to Accra in one piece. Let me say that Yinka and Calvin are my newest best friends for helping me out in my pathetic state (no offense to old best friends). I made it to a good hospital, where the doctor informed me that I didn’t have malaria, dengue fever, or typhoid. I was diagnosed with a general infection (uh, thanks, Doc), prescribed some antibitotics, and will be going back today for a checkup.

I’m feeling better, but am still having some trouble sitting upright for longer than 5 minutes (fear not: I am typing this entry from Yinka’s home computer, so I can lay my head down frequently). It looks like recovery might hamper the remainder of my travel plans, and that’s certainly a bummer, but health comes first!

Oooh, getting dizzy now. Will write more later.

4 Comments:

At Fri Oct 21, 02:15:00 PM, Blogger Natalia said...

Hey YW - sorry to hear about your being sick! Take good care of yourself. If you perish from Mysterious Ghana Disease, you'll miss out on sleeping on my classy air mattress in November.

 
At Sat Oct 22, 03:56:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

If it's any consolation to having a serious infection, I got you the new Franz concert tee Monday night. And I'm sure you will be glad to hear that they were F*CKING AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :o) I have many photos. And I scrawled the setlist down on a scrap envelope I had, which is harder than you think when you're trying to dance, sing, look over the heads of the taller people in front of you in a bad venue for a rock concert, take photos over the heads of those people, and see what you're writing in the dark.....

 
At Mon Oct 24, 01:30:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Don't die Yuh Wen! What will I do without you? Who will keep me up to date on indie rock so that I can pretend to be "hip"? Live, damn you, live!!!

 
At Wed Oct 26, 07:32:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh, Yuh Wen!!! Be careful, so sorry to hear you were sick. (By the way, this is Julie's aunt Jeanne :-) )...Seriously, you better take better care of yourself. Can't wait to have you home so we can see all your pictures and hear all the great stories. You're amazing!!!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home