Friday, December 16, 2005

La vie française: ...jusqu'à le fin

This is my last post from Bordeaux, and maybe the last from France altogether. On Sunday morning, I'm headed to Paris for a two days, but maybe I won't have time to head to an internet café between the intensive sightseeing (must...see...as...much...as...POSSIBLE!).

So I've had a fun time here! What between the cheese-eatin' and wine-gulpin'. I think my French has improved a bit, but it can always use help. In any case, it has been really cool and wonderful meeting lots of people from around the world, and communicating (for the most part!) in French! What fun..and no sarcasm intended here for once. I recommend the experience to anyone.

Here are ten important lessons that I have learned while in Bordeaux:

(1) Don't plan on shopping or doing anything of interest on Sunday or Monday. Whereever you want to go, it's probably closed.

(2) There's always room for wine.

(3) There's always room for dessert (especially a pain au chocolat or a chocolatine).

(4) Cheese is not evil...neither is mayo, for that matter.

(5) Walk so that you can burn off the calories from the wine, dessert and cheese.

(6) The French actually say "ooh la la"! They don't, however, say "Zut alors!" (like Lumière from Beauty & the Beast) very much.

(7) J'aime bien Zara.

(8) Actually, museums (art and/or history) are excellent ways to practice the language and learn new words (e.g. biblical terms like "Hell", "Heaven", "Virgin", etc.)

(9) There is always time to appreciate the beautiful things in life.

...and, perhaps most importantly...

(10) When walking on French streets, if you see something in the street that is not the color of the sidewalk or pavement, avoid, avoid, AVOID. No matter what you tell yourself, it's not a piece of paper, garbage, or a leaf. It's DOG CRAP. Just accept it.

Alas, tonight is the finale of Star Academy ("StarAc"!). It's a showdown between Magalie and Jérémy! And the celebrity guests are Johnny Hallyday (he's really famous here...I swear!) and MARIAH CAREY!!! Dude, I'm so there...

À bientôt!

3 Comments:

At Fri Dec 16, 11:39:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm glad you had a good time in France! I, too, came away from my studies in France with a love of Zara (and vin). As you may already know from their website, there are a few in New York, and I think there are even plans for one in Chicago. It's not quite the same, though.

 
At Sat Dec 17, 06:05:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

OOOH! j'aime bien Zara aussi. they have em in canada and also in nyc. stopid chicago. (although i kind of hope they don't expand to chicago since then everyone will know where all my cool clothes and shoes come from)


oooh i see liz a wrote of it above. hehehe

zut alors!

 
At Sat Dec 17, 05:16:00 PM, Blogger Natalia said...

Hah! I, too, love Zara. There was one in Toledo (Spain, not Ohio) when I was there. They just opened una nueva Zara in San Francisco.

I think Liz is right, though. It's not quite the same. Still, the love burns bright.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home