Tuesday, November 15, 2005

I've fallen off track

If the world was perfect and all went according to plan, I would be en route to Shanghai, sleeping on Natalia's air mattress in Berkeley and eating at Chez Panisse along the way. Alas, it seems as if I've fallen a bit off track.

Towards the end of my stay in Accra, I found out that my teaching assignment in China had fallen through (ah, there seems to be a falling theme in this post...). So, it was either (a) try to forge a new months-long existence on two weeks notice, or (b) delay/cancel the trip. I decided on (b). Just as well, I suppose. Bird flu is the news in China, and mom's a bit freaked (last time I wanted to go to China, it was SARS...geez, maybe it's a sign). Plus, I guess I should go to the doctor for a proper checkup on my (now seemingly fully cured) sickbug from Ghana. And, oh yeah, I think I'm getting a cavity.

It'll be nice to be home for Thanksgiving. In the meantime, I'm also reading a lot, catching up on news and pop culture (OMG, Kenny Chesney and Renee Zellwegger broke up? Wait, I don't care...), enjoying time with my parents, and marvelling in the insanity that is suburban life!

But now I have a huge credit on United Airlines to use up before August 2006. I might still go to China, but I'm open to your suggestions - fire away! Last week, I was in luck to catch "Where in the World is Matt Lauer?" on The Today Show (yes, my life has sunken to that level!), so that was slightly helpful. Croatia, anyone?

5 Comments:

At Tue Nov 15, 02:38:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I saw where in the world Matt Lauer traveled as well...all the locations. Between that and watching Bai Ling destroy any American notions that Asians are smart and their idea of singing anything except screeching, I think I'm in a tight race for levels of lowness. You should come visit me in Boston...or you should let me visit you in New Jersey. Nei Monggu is still left too.

 
At Wed Nov 16, 03:01:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

YuhWen, just so you don't start watching Days of Our Lives!!! Be on the lookout for Alumni Fundraising going on in NY. An article in the Maroon said the class of 2003 is feeling bad about the 15 place in News and World Report...Welcome Home!!!

 
At Wed Nov 16, 03:12:00 PM, Blogger Natalia said...

Well, I've been wanting to go to Germany for a long time, so if you went there, I could enjoy it vicariously through you. Or you could just take multiple trips to Berkeley (heh heh).

 
At Thu Nov 17, 01:43:00 AM, Blogger YDubL said...

Multiple trips to Berkeley and an addiction "Days of our Lives" are both very probable nowadays, Natalia and Mrs. C! Actually, Mrs. C, I watch Oprah and the Tyra Banks show on a pretty regular basis now. Yes, Germany is very tempting! Good suggestion, N...

As for Xiao and Kenny, well, I'll have to post a proper blog entry to reply to this Bai Ling topic.

 
At Thu Nov 17, 11:08:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Glad to hear that you are feeling better, chica. I'm sorry the teaching trip fell through. Perhaps we can get together for some good ol'circle of friends time now that you are home.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home