Thursday, January 26, 2006

Rumors of my death by Guatemalan firing squad have been greatly exaggerated; rumors of my slacker torpor are not merely rumors

In fact, I'm not dead at all. Surprise to you and me!!! Aw, dry your eyes. Well, I suppose it has been - geepers! - over 3 weeks since my last post? Yes, I just typed "geepers." You love it, and you know it! Still, I apologize. There's no real excuse for my lack of blogging activity except the fact that I'm a bit lazy. Okay, the "bit" part there is really the exaggeration of this post: I'm a total bum these days.

I have realized the dangers of having too much free time for - wow! - the first time in my life (naturally, I'm not counting my gleeful youth as a baby or toddler). After 12+ years of schooling, having no job comes down to this: I wake up when I wish, with no cursed alarm clock to push me! Unless I'm traveling, I don't know the date and must think twice about the day of the week! This is particularly problematic now when one is in that state of denial that it's 2006 and can't seem to stop writing "2005" or "05" when scribbling down a date. Today, I read an old internet article from February 3, 2005, and honestly thought, "Wow...it's February already?" before realizing that it's January 25th...er, that's correct, right? Tee hee.

So what have I been doing? Well, I read -- internet articles, books, junk mail catalogs, mostly. Right now, I am working on the Walter Isaacson biography of good ol' Ben Franklin and am also re-reading Strunk and White's superb The Elements of Style. I'm also still listening to lots of music, adhering to tried-and-true faves (Franz,w.a.s.) while attempting to keep up with the kids and their crazy music trends (newest Band du jour is the excellent Arctic Monkeys). TV is, surprisingly, not a frequent activity (my falling asleep nightly to Conan O'Brien excepted). Of course, I am also planning the next stages of my life as a deadbeat (read: more traveling).

I also extended my International Hello! Tour to domestic locales: there was weeklong visit to friends in Madison (Wisconsin!) and Chicago as well a trip with my to rural Virginia, where we visited Monticello, former home of Thomas "Sexy Beast" Jefferson (notice the Founding Fathers kick that I've been on?). Then there's roadtrippin' with my parents to our relatives' houses for the upcoming Chinese New Year visits and stuffing ourselves at Atlantic City buffets (ow ow oweee!) I'm working on this blog/picture post about my recent domestic escapades, so keep your eyes peeled! It shall be up by this week, I solemnly swear. In the meantime, keep yourself entertained with this (although #1 is true, I like #5 and #10 the most):

Ten Top Trivia Tips about Yuh Wen!

  1. Yuh Wen will often rub up against people to lay her scent and mark her territory.
  2. More than one million stray dogs and half a million stray cats live in Yuh Wen.
  3. Birds do not sleep in Yuh Wen, though they may rest in her from time to time.
  4. Cats use their Yuh Wen to test whether a space is large enough for them to fit through.
  5. Olympic badminton rules say that Yuh Wen must have exactly fourteen feathers.
  6. A bride should wear something old, something new, something borrowed, and Yuh Wen.
  7. It can take Yuh Wen several days to move just through one tree.
  8. The eye of an ostrich is bigger than Yuh Wen!
  9. The colour of Yuh Wen is no indication of her spiciness, but size usually is!
  10. There is actually no danger in swimming right after you eat Yuh Wen, though it may feel uncomfortable.
I am interested in - do tell me about


Really, this whole "free time" concept is absolutely amazing!!! Needless to say, especially for those who know about my usual workaholic tendencies, this euphoria can't last too long. I'm starting to get bored of being bored already. I hope that I'll be in good shape to start working once school starts in August. Wow, time is passing that quickly! Before you know it, I'll have to be cognizant that it's...er, Wednesday...?

6 Comments:

At Fri Jan 27, 03:15:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hoopsmom here....tried to listen to the Artic Monkeys, must not have the right reader on this computer. They're cute, tho. I'll try ITunes. Thanks.
Try some crafts to keep from being bored, YuhChic!!!!!

 
At Fri Jan 27, 05:26:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

OMG. yes, kara saun infinitely > jay... freaking fatass, bitchy, queen jay. UGH

anyway, i'm glad to see that you're lazing about :D it's about freaking time; you need the break.

 
At Fri Jan 27, 05:36:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

PS, i am now reading elements of style and enjoying it thoroughly.

 
At Fri Jan 27, 12:44:00 PM, Blogger YDubL said...

Hoopsmom: I knitted a scarf a while back...that was fun. Maybe I should start a sweater?!? Any craft suggestions, anyone?

Panda: I liked Jay from Season 1 of Project Runway! Hmm, that might explain my love for Daniel V...? And, YES, isn't Elements of Style great?

Kenny: It's not just a blog thing - I'm just slow. And, really, my Hello Kitty goods ownership has been greatly exaggerated here! The only items of any real note are the HK tissue box cover and the alarm clock/radio. Ahem. Both were gifts, too...delightfully and gratefully accepted, of course! :)

Er, how much was that waffle iron again? I think it makes waffles in the shape of our lovely Kitty...

 
At Sat Jan 28, 09:27:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Um....I think the most important question of all is....where is the photo of me bogarting French lavender at TJ's house? :o) Heh heh.....

 
At Sun Jan 29, 03:57:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love that now you have all this free time, you don't post more. Kind of like how I was going to read Moby Dick over my insane state-school-length winter break but instead watched Food 911 reruns.

Why is that random generator so fun? It shouldn't be. My favorite was "The average human spends about 30 days during their life in Julie." Sigh. If only...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home