Wednesday, July 27, 2005

I wanna rock & roll all night...and party everyday (well, almost everyday)

Perhaps the only decent picture I was able to take all weekend.


In an attempt to top my crazy rock & roll weekend of last weekend, I embarked on...this weekend. Two of my bestest pals from Jersey visited me and, along with great Chicago pal, Miss J-Cap, we attended the destination festival revival of Lollapalooza. The festival was held over 2 days (July 23 & 24th, Saturday and Sunday) in Grant Park, overlooking our fair city of Chicago. Two words: lotsa fun. After seeing a bunch of great bands over the weekend, a few thoughts and observations to make (in sort of random order):

1) If you're going to stay outside for 10+ hours in 100+ degree heat (Sunday), don't ask what the actual temperature is. Ignorance is bliss.

I am amazed, however, at how much liquid I pumped into my body on Sunday. I believe it was 4 Nalgene bottles of water (32 ounces x 4), 2 Vitamin waters, and another 3 bottles of water. Sweet hydration.

2) Kaiser Chiefs = Best. Live. Band. EVER.

I guess you could count me as a bit of a groupie (without the trying-to-sleep-with-the-band aspect), as the Chiefs have performed in Chicago 3 times, and I've seen them every single time. In fact, we arrived just a wee bit later than anticipated on Saturday, and I could hear their set starting. I immediately freaked out ("It's STARTING!") and hauled some ass to get over to the show. Seriously, it was like one of those old Looney Toons when the Roadrunner leaves Wile E. Coyote in a cloud of dust. Teenyboppery? Yes. But at least it is justified. God bless that Ricky Wilson...and the rest of the band, for that matter. Each time I have seen the Kaiser Chiefs, they have put on a scorching show, despite circumstances that may otherwise deter them (Double Door show: Ricky's messed up ankle; Park West show: less-than-stellar crowd; Lollapalooza: Ricky lost his voice). The best part, though, is that they seem to be the nicest, coolest guys. I kind of accidentally met them after the Park West show, and they were just nice as pie.

In any case, I think my Jersey pals have been converted into fellow Chiefettes like J-Cap and me. Although we were close to the stage, I was not quite this close to take this picture -- it's from the Lollapalooza website. Besides, I was way too busy rockin' out to take a good picture.

3) Why don't I own any Cake CDs? No one can rock a glockenspiel better. Speaking of bands named after foods and food-related items, Lollapalooza has really whetted my appetite for G. Love and Special Sauce, as well as Spoon.

4) There is nothing cooler than seeing/hearing 20,000+ people sing to Weezer. Again, another "borrowed" photo to set the mood.

Rivers Cuomo (the loveable and slightly sociopathic frontman of Weezer) has finally accepted the fact that Pinkerton does not suck! They played two songs off the record -- including "El Scorcho". If they had played "The Good Life", I would've flipped out Tasmanian Devil-style (to stick with the Looney Toons imagery). Weezer's Blue Album was the first CD I ever bought (I think I was 13 years old or something?), and the songs just really remind me of my bygone youth. Fun times. It was fun times for Rivers, too, who seemed exceptionally happy to be there. It does my heart good to know that we've eased his Prozac dose, if only for a night!

5) Now I like The Killers as much as the next person...maybe even more than the average person, but I wish they would be a little more fun on stage. I've seen them live before, and they do kinda rock...but it could be so much better! Brandon Flowers (lead singer) is sort of a Rivers-esque sociopath, except not as loveable. He could work on that. As it was, their show was a little boring on Sunday...er, not that I'm complaining!

6) Again, not to be down on my sex, but Billy Idol is a bit of a girl when it comes to wardrobe changes. He had about 4 throughout his 45 minute set. In my humble opinion, that's unnecessary and not very punk-like. At least he sang "Rebel Yell" and "White Wedding". But it also sorta sucked because it was raining during his set. Boo.

7) ***This*** is why you must see OK Go in concert, besides the fact that they are awesome.

8) Primus was pretty dope...plus they had rubber ducks onstage. Again, another "borrowed" photo. If only it could've captured the mad crowd surfing going on.



9) Crowd surfing must be hard when you're a girl. Especially if you don't like being violated by thousands of groping hands.

10) Despite the heat, it was just a great weekend. Chicago is a pretty darn cool place to have a concert festival, and I hope that Lollapalooza (or some other big ass festival) will be back again. Who wants to come with me next time?!?

On Monday, the crew and I also went to see Hot Hot Heat at the Metro, which is always a really fun venue because all the kids go crazy (although it makes me feel old because of the all-ages shows). But, HOLY CRAP, does Hot Hot Heat rock! I was extremely surprised...I don't know why. Maybe because they are Canadian? I know...bad anti-Canada joke. I'm sorry! In any case, the kids did indeed go crazy during the show. All Steve Bays (lead singer and keyboardist) needs is a keytar, and that would really make my night.

My throat still hurts from singing and cheering the whole weekend. But that's the price you get for rockin'!

1 Comments:

At Fri Jul 29, 05:49:00 AM, Blogger Natalia said...

Oddly, Maria was there filming. Poor girl, she had to wear black in that heat. Horrible.

It sounds like you're going to a lot of concerts, YW! Sheesh. When did you get to be such a hipster? Or were you just keeping it a secret beneath your Richard Nixon-researching demeanor?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home