Saturday, July 16, 2005

Inexplicable admiration for a politician

Well, not so inexplicable when you read speeches like this:

Focusing your life solely on making a buck shows a poverty of ambition. It asks too little of yourself. You need to take up the challenges that we face as a nation and make them your own, not because you have an obligation to those who are less fortunate, although you do have that obligation. Not because you have a debt to all of those who helped you get to where you are, although you do have that debt. Not because you have an obligation to those who are less fortunate, although you do have that obligation. You need to take on the challenge because you have an obligation to yourself. Because our individual salvation depends on collective salvation. Because it’s only when you hitch your wagon to something larger than yourself that you will realize your true potential. And if we’re willing to share the risks and the rewards this new century offers, it will be a victory for each of you, and for every American.

Honestly, I suppose Barack Obama is a bit liberal even for me at times, but I really admire his optimism and ability to instill hope in people. Plus, without getting too politcal, I think he's doing some good work for my adopted state of Illinois. He seems an extremely capable fellow and good guy. Gosh, I really hope he does not end up becoming the anti-Christ or something.

And, what can I say, I am a sucker for inspirational speeches. I am a big Barack Obama fan. Therefore, I am.

More Summer Reading by Barack Obama
Speech to the ALA
Essay on Abraham Lincoln in Time Magazine

3 Comments:

At Mon Jul 18, 02:28:00 PM, Blogger Natalia said...

Oh, come on, YW, you've been mad about Obama forever. Besides, he's completely unhatable. I despise inspirational speeches, and I still like him.

 
At Tue Jul 19, 12:09:00 PM, Blogger YDubL said...

I have liked Obama for a while, haven't I? It still seems a bit inexplicable to me at times though, because my admiration for him is based on a lot of minor personal qualities that make me think "I can't believe you're so cool" instead of based on anything really concrete like a particular policy standpoint. Did I tell you that I met him once, Natalia? For real! I was volunteering at his Senate campaign office last fall and all of the sudden he just comes out of the back office. I swear I've never gotten so excited around a celebrity before. It was after his DNC speech, I think. Anyways, he was (and, I assume, still is) super nice -- I told him that he was the very first person that I ever voted for (during the primary election), and he thanked me and inquired about my origins. I cursed the fact that my camera phone died that day.

 
At Tue Jul 19, 04:00:00 PM, Blogger Natalia said...

He inquired about your origins? Did you have to tell him about how when a mommy and a daddy really love each other, a stork comes with a baby, and... ? Or was it more along the lines of Lucy and Australopithecus afarensis...?

Heh. Just kidding. It's cool that you got to meet him. He does seem to have strange biography appeal though, doesn't he? You're right, it's a little disturbing that we find this politically compelling.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home