Sunday, February 19, 2006

Here we go, yo; My first poll

I'm off again...and not a moment too soon. Today, the heat in my beloved car (Barry!) broke, just as the freakishly spring-like weather is starting to make a turn into cold and windy territory. Additionally, my mom has begun encouraging me to "go online and find a boyfriend." Sometimes you just know when it's time to leave.

I will be flying to Guatemala City on Sunday (via Los Angeles), whereupon arrival I shall be whisked off to 4-hour bus ride into the mountains and to the city of Quetzaltenango (a.k.a. Xela). Currently, my return is scheduled for May 16 - that's a whole three months to learn some Spanish talkin' and catch a nice disease or two. Let's see how long I last. In any case, I'm bummed that I'll miss out on the rest of the Olympics! BOO. Oh, how many heartstrings-tugging fluff pieces will I miss? Boo!

On a quasi-related (but not really) note, I have cut my hair in anticipation of the trip and extended stay because, based on past experience, there's nothing more difficult than trying to ask for a good haircut in a foreign language. However, during my haircut, I couldn't help but think: "I should really just shave my head!" I'm serious. No, really! Hear me out. I mean, in the spirit of, "I'm going to do all the crazy shit I can while it's still socially acceptable!", it's something that I've been considering over the past few weeks. Yes, it's admittedly a bit more drastic than when Jo cut off and sold her hair in Little Women. I think my hair is my best physical attribute, but I don't do crap with it because I'm usually too lazy. Maybe losing it all will make me appreciate it more, as well as allow me to re-examine ideas of beauty and vanity. Anyhoo, it's not about being "cool" or anything (although, yes, I know I'm a poser), it's just something I'm contemplating. And I won't be Bic-ing it - just a buzz cut. What do you think? (---> direct your eyes over to the poll, friends --->)

A few other pros and cons to contemplate:

Pros
(1) Little/no extra time needed for hair care
(2) Perfect (lack-of-)hairdo in time for the sweltering summer
(3) One more step towards gender equality in my demented little mind
(4) Hair can be donated to Locks of Love
(5) An opportunity to experiment with hairstyles at different lengths as it grows out
(6) Freaking my parents out by planting seeds in their mind that I might be a lesbian

Cons
(1) Less time spent on hair may be moot, since more effort must be applied to looking more feminine so that I am not mistaken for a boy
(2) My head is really big and my face quite round, so lack of hair might leave me looking more like a melon; I have also not considered how dorky a bald head might look with my glasses (Bunsen?)
(3) Adrogyny will confuse people of both sexes à la Pat; I may also end up looking like my brother, which will also prove confusing
(4) Accusations of being a poser (especially when V for Vendetta is released, starring a buzz-cut Natalie Portman)
(5) Awkward and ugly "fro" stage as hair grows from buzz-cut stage
(6) Freaking my parents out by planting seeds in their mind that I might be a lesbian

Ah, well, something to think about anyway. Blogging promised as soon as I get settled. I'll see you all soon!

3 Comments:

At Sun Feb 19, 08:35:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I voted no, simply because I really like hair. But I know that you're not going to make your decision based on others' opinions anyway. I guess the best time to do it would be whilst spending time in a foreign country, so you don't run into anyone you know. Then again, I am always a proponent for enjoying things while they last, including hair!

 
At Mon Feb 20, 10:51:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

WOOT! you're off again. more photos.. wheres' the new haircut? (my new haircut is blowtastic)
and bitch, I ain't no hollaback girl.

 
At Wed Feb 22, 02:32:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

If anything, I say buzz off your hair for the sole purpose of freaking out your parents. as adolescence has taught us, freaking parents out is a always a good reason to do anything. moreso i think when you're geographically inaccessible.

True, you may suffer indignities at the hands of gender-essentialists in GT. But being asian in itself already makes you a point of interest, especially in a province like quetzaltenango. Why not give the guatemalans a reason to stare?

and again, the inconvenience of sending people for a loop is abundadnlty overshaddwed by the shcok you will cause your parents.

guatemalans freaking out = cool. traditional parents freaking out = pricless.

;)

-eD

 

Post a Comment

<< Home