Monday, August 15, 2005

60th anniversary of the Hiroshima and Nagasaki Atomic Bombs

As you probably know, there are quite a few 60th anniversaries this year for the end of World War II. Two important dates are August 6th and August 9th, when Hiroshima and Nagasaki were bombed, respectively, in 1945.

Yeah, I'm a little slow.

The link below is a Worldview interview with Katsuji Yoshida, a Nagasaki bomb survivor. Pretty amazing.

Nagasaki: A Survivor's Story

Even with all the recent hub bub about nuclear proliferation (i.e., Iran, North Korea), I am hesitant to engage in any sort of academic polemic about the subject. Not only because I'd be bad at it, but also because - in many ways - it deeply cheapens the experience of people like Mr. Yoshida. Sometimes it's best just to listen, contemplate, and challenge your own views.

2 Comments:

At Mon Aug 15, 12:42:00 PM, Blogger Natalia said...

Can you cheapen something, er, deeply?

 
At Mon Aug 15, 11:02:00 PM, Blogger YDubL said...

I bet I could!

Or maybe I'm just excessively fond of gratuitous adverb use. Yep, I'd say that I'm passionately fond of it. :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home