Thursday, September 08, 2005

Top 5 Reasons I Miss Chicago

I have been watching too much High Fidelity.

Honorable Mention: The University of Chicago
Oh, you source of so much social pain, so much academic pleasure. You’re the reason that drew me out to fine Chi-town in the first place, what with your history of nuclear destruction and promises of academic glory. Both directly and indirectly, you introduced me to all of the following on my Top 5 (especially #1 & #2), so I’ve really gotta give you props.

5) General Midwestern easygoing-ness
Especially when it comes to driving and general human-to-human interactions. After being cursed off in a car with my best friend and on the road with other crazy (i.e., normal) NJ drivers, I just wanna say, “Chillax!”

4) Easily accessible (and rockin’) Gigging
Ah, where shall I ever be so close to so much live music ever again? And when will I ever be so young again so as to go to rock gigs without shame, retribution, or searing back/knee pain? I’ll truly miss the pre-pubescent live energy of the Metro and especially the aging/wannabe hipsters (::cough::me!::cough::) of the Double Door.

3) Neighborhoods
There’s nothing better than being really defensive and adversarial about the Chicago neighborhood in which you live! It's quite fun to lament/exult about how much cooler/lamer other 'hoods are.

During my time in the City, I lived in Hyde Park and Lincoln Square (NOT Park!) and really enjoyed both of them. Granted, so I have to say that the city suddenly became much MUCH cooler (and a little less pretentious) once I moved away from Hyde Park, but I will always have a special place in my heart for this bastion of academic/liberal thought in the middle of the South Side, with its "We don't give a shit 'cuz we're S-M-R-T, yo!" attitude. Oh, how I long for those halcyon days!

I only lived in Lincoln Square for a year, but it was fun to be on the “up-and-coming” trendy (read: increasingly yuppie) side of town. I made a fairly good attempt to eat my way down the strip of excellent restaurants on the 4500-4700 blocks of Lincoln Avenue before I left, so kudos to me!

2) Harold’s Chicken Shack
“Quarter white with mild sauce.” That’s a wing and breast piece of the most awesome fried chicken EVER tossed on top of two slices of Wonder® bread, a stack of fries, and smothered in BBQ sauce, served to you with love and care by a surly kitchen worker from behind a sheet of bullet-proof glass. I LOVE IT.

1) My pals
#1…with a bullet! Actually, it was a close call, but I think my friends would have been upset if they were beaten by fried chicken. :)

In all seriousness, this is the reason that makes me saddest about leaving Chicago. By “pals”, I mean all those friendly folks who I met while at the University, work, etc. This includes those who have relocated North, South, East, and West (and West via the South!), as well as those who are still making their fortunes in Chicago. I loves youse guys!

3 Comments:

At Sat Sep 10, 01:42:00 PM, Blogger Natalia said...

I can't believe Harold's Chicken Shack is your #2. I managed to graduate from the U of C without ever once ingesting Harold's chicken... frankly, it always looked scary to me. I'm more of a Rajun Cajun woman, myself.

Although, obviously, the best thing about the city of Chicago is the Reg. Followed closely by the Seminary Co-op and Hyde Park Produce. I guess I would make the Monadnock Building and its ilk (Railway Exchange Building, Trib, e.g.) number four. And number five is obviously that guy near Water Tower who says that Al Gore is an alien.

 
At Sun Sep 11, 11:20:00 AM, Blogger YDubL said...

Ah, I'm so excited that my neglectful Top 5 list has spurred the peeps to comment on what I may have missed! Natalia & Kenny - you're both right...

Natalia - I'm a fan of Rajun Cajun as well, but nothing really compares with the awesomeness of Harold's. Something to try next time you're in Chicago (Maria's graduation?!). Of course, it would be impossible to list all the other spiffy things I miss. I somewhat foolishly just began listing all the first few things that came to mind. Stuff coming to mind right now: the lovely architecture (Carbon & Carbide building is my favorite building in Chicago, but is [un?]fortunately inhabited by a Hard Rock Hotel), HP Produce's GUACAMOLE (Yummy!), the lake...ah, so many!

Kenny - ah, Salonica's & Dat's Donuts! How could I forget (gyro omelettes and hubcap-sized donuts, respectively!)? Gotta give a shout out to Valois's "Everything" omelette, too! Dang, how come all of our "Top 5" together involve only food?!?

 
At Thu Nov 10, 04:06:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

i moved to lasvegas , why i dont know . one thing for sure is i miss the style, coulture and most of all the respect for one another. two more years and i will be home where i belong. thank you chicago no body is better....

 

Post a Comment

<< Home