Wednesday, February 22, 2006

Temporarily marooned in Los Angeles

Well, you were expecting me a blog from Guatemala, right? Well, guess what? I'm stuck in Los Angeles. Tip: never underestimate the strength of head winds in flight, which can delay a flight by MORE THAN 90 MINUTES if you're flying to California. Sweet Jesus. I arrived in LAX last night at 12:00 midnight, and I missed my connecting flight to Guatemala. All flights are booked until Tuesday at 11:00 PM. I'm marooned in LA (Hell-A) until then.

But, like I said, it could be worse. Because I was nice to the customer service agent(and because I'm Premier frequent flyer, bee-atch!), I've got some nice accommodations for the time being. Seriously, some lady who also missed her flight was MEAN, and the service agents were like, "Um, no...we can't do anything for you. Sorry." Hee! United is footing the bill at the sweeeeeeeet Omni Hotel (4 stars, suckas!) until then. Plus food and transportation vouchers.

In any case, I'm taking this little incident as a sign from God. It's one of three messages, I think:

(1) "You should really visit your friends in L.A.? Why do you keep saying you'll visit them and not? This should also teach you a thing or two!" (I did hang out with the ever elusive Kenny, who is doing well and wasting away à la true Hollywood starlet even with the nearly-daily consumption of delicious pastries)

(2) "Um, I don't think you should go to Guatemala."

(3) "OK, you should go to Guatemala...but you're gonna miss creature comforts like the New York Times, bath robes, bathrooms bigger than your bedroom at home, and king-size beds that could fit four or five of you. I just want to rub that in a little bit before you leave."

More from Guatemala when I actually get there!

2 Comments:

At Wed Feb 22, 10:36:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

UGHHH i was marooned in LA for an evening TOO! and I was nice to the service agent--until they told me they couldn't get me any accomodations! then i got mean. and had to stay at this shitty as 0 star place that they had subsidized partially. Then the next day, i realized as i was trying to get into the aero peurto (freaking long ass lines through security at LAX), that the fuckers printed me the WRONG boarding pass and that i was apparently booked on some 4am flight to SF connecting to Honoluulu --WTF!!!! Well, this was sort of a blessing in the end b/c, the flight i thought i would be on never got out of the air port either b/c it had mechanical problems in the MIDDLE OF TAKE OFF. anyway, after that whole misprinted fiasco, they gave me upgrades galore (first class to honolulu baby!) and a free flight + free coupons. but still, i remain bitter. LAX is disgusting. grrr

 
At Wed Feb 22, 02:10:00 PM, Blogger Natalia said...

Oh, Yuh Wen. Stranded in the other California. Alas! At least it's probably warmer down there than here. I think your message from God is probably something like, "You should go to Guatemala, but you should stop and relax in a sweet hotel first."

 

Post a Comment

<< Home