Saturday, February 25, 2006

Uh...lo siento, no puedo hablar bien en español

First of all, apologies to everyone who commented on my last couple of postings! I had inadvertently changed my Blogger preferences to "Approve all comments" and so had a large backlog of your comments to approve! And here I thought you just had nothing to say. You like me...you really like me! Thanks to Julie for the heads up.

Aaaaah, sweet Guatemalan livin´...sort of. Yes! I arrived on Wednesday, after a red eye flight from LAX to Guatemala City and a 4-hour bus ride climbing into the highlands of Guatemala. It´s has been quite nice so far! Like I said, I´m now pretty oblivious to culture shock of any kind (well, besides the occasional Guatemalaneco calling out "Chinita!" when I pass by..."Si, yo se"). Does that make me truly worldly, or merely ambivalent to everything in the world? No se.

Quetzaltenango: First Impressions
I am currently in Quetzaltenango, which most people call "Xela" (shortened form of "Xelaju", the Indian name...I think the language is Kiche?). Despite being the second biggest city in Guatemala, it´s still quite quaint. In fact, it reminds me an awful lot of Accra, except no open sewers (whew) and no animals in the streets. I´m happy to report that the roosters also crow, appropriately, in the morning, too. THANK GOD. It´s actually a very effective alarm clock!

I´ve been taking walks around the city and have discovered the existence of a McDonalds in the town center. Aah, good to know it´s there...just in case. My teacher (wait for it...wait for it...) also informed me that there is a Burger King and Gap in town. Oooooookay. It´s always pretty amusing for me to find all the different American influences that abound in the world. But I guess I should´ve seen it coming - the first song I heard on Guatemalan radio was Beyonce´s "Check On It."

During my walks, I try not to get hit by cars. As in most non-Western countries, lanes and pedestrian´s right of way do not exist. That´s OK...I just hope I don´t die (a couple of close calls already!).

During the day, the weather rocks. It´s usually 60s and 70s (Fahrenheit, of course), sunny, and pretty breezy - the pleasant coolness during the day is due to Xela´s location in the highlands (mountains, yo!). Unfortunately, this also means that nights are teeth-shatteringly cold, with temperatures around freezing and NO CENTRAL HEATING in houses that are constructed of concrete block. Needless to say, I learned on my first night that it´s quite necessary to wear my hoody, my fleece jacket, my gloves, and scarf to bed...under the three blankets which are more like heavy carpets.

Guatemalan Moolah
T´is the Quetzal, named after a bird, apparently! It exchanges at a rate of US$1=Q$8. Sweet for los Americanos! Nothing really weird about it, ya know...ah, the Q$1 is available in coins! Y´all know how much I love that!

Food & Drink
Tortillas, tortillas, tortillas. They´re quite tasty, because they are usually crazy fresh and made of natural ground corn and not crappy flour. I actually haven´t eaten much (OK, any) meat yet, but maybe that´s good, eh? I noticed that the vegetable selection is sadly lacking. Boo. Except beans...well, those really aren´t really a veggie so much as protein, huh? Anyhoo, I´ll have to get my vitamin fix elsewhere other than my vitamin supplements - I saw some street vendors in front of my school with some tasty looking watermelon slices. Yum. I´ve also been eating some super tasty, super pure honey (from the mountains!). Sweeeet...literally!

Drinks! Don´t drink the water! Only spring water for privileged foreigners like me! Guatemala is a big coffee producer, but the best beans are exported so the crappy beans are left behind. It doesn´t taste so bad. I will explore further. My host mom makes me tea boiled from fresh mint, fresh chamomile, and cinnamon. That´s pretty cool.

I have not yet experienced the "stomach troubles" that plague most newcomers, but, watch...since I wrote that, I´ll be pulling out my Imodium like crazy tonight! Fingers crossed...

My digs
I´m staying with a host family, headed by Bertilla. Her daughters (Bianca and Lupita) and granddaughter (Joselina) live with her, as well as two pretty cute dogs (CiCi and Mohita). I have a small room, nothing fancy. Functional. Aaah, one thing "special"...Guatemalan toilets, although modern and wonderfully Western-style, can´t handle paper being flushed into the septic system. I try with all my might not to throw my toilet paper into the bowl, with a few mistakes here and there, leaving me to fish it out. EEEEEEW.

My school
I have 5 hours of one-on-one instruction each day at Sakribal Spanish School. It´s really great for learning a lot in a short time! Do you know how many irregular verbs I know now?!?! Anyhoo, my teacher this week is Julio. We chatted about how there are American shows on Guatemalan TV. Julio´s faves are Las Chicas Gilmore (that´s right! Gilmore Girls!) and Smallville, although he seems partial to Two and a Half Men. Cultural imperialism at its best!!!

2 Comments:

At Sat Mar 04, 06:28:00 AM, Blogger Babi Perez said...

hello! so you're visiting the beautiful city of Xela! Very nice. I'm originally from Coatepeque but was raised in Xela. Currently live in the states though. Hope you have a great time and that the people treat you right. We're usually pretty nice...

 
At Sun Feb 04, 04:34:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi!!! Wow, nice read! Thanks! My name is Rain and I just moved to Xela from Lago Atitlan. Can you write me because I have some more questions. My email address is xelarain@cooltoad.com. THank you for the information and I hope to hear from you one day soon!
rain

 

Post a Comment

<< Home