Tuesday, May 02, 2006

In Honduras, there are more Mayan ruins to desecrate! (Oh, yeah, did I mention that I climbed the tallest point in Central America last weekend?)



I crossed the Guatemalan border yesterday morning with my travel buddy, Chris. Indeed, Honduras es amor. Actually, I am having a hard time remembering that I am in Honduras rather than Guatemala, but I am sure that will set in soon enough.

I am currently in Copan Ruinas, a small town that is very famous for the Mayan ruins of Copan (inventive naming, eh?). Although the site of the ruins aren't as big as Tikal, they are very impressive for the hieroglyphics and carvings present throughout the ruins. The desecration of Mayan culture continues, as demonstrated below:



An added plus is that the museum onsite is really spectacular. Thumbs up!



And, oh yes!, I climbed Volcano Tajumulco last week, which is the tallest point in Central America at a whopping 4,220 meters - that is about 13,900 feet for us non-metric folks from the U.S. It was really great 2 days climbing to the top, although it was a bit of a bummer that it was cloudy the whole weekend.

More pictures later!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home