Tuesday, March 21, 2006

Same old, same old...except yo voy a ir al inferno (I am going to hell)


Climbin´ stuff and hikin´ again. One time just wasn´t enough! I decided to climb up Volcan Chicabal again to see the lake. It was actually a bit easier this time (less pain!) and quite a bit more enjoyable...plus, I am trying to work my way up to this.


I just hope that Guatemalans know how awesomely beautiful their country is!!!

Aaaah, so more about the realization that I am going to hell (not that I wasn´t completely unaware of it before...). So my last teacher was a really nice guy, and we had some fun conversations about popular culture (dude, I learned so many bad words for someone with such a poor comprehension of Spanish that it just ain´t funny) and also religion, because he is quite religious. Now, I deeply respect all religions, but I made the mistake of mentioning to my teacher that I didn´t approve of how some religions so easily dictate that certain people will go to hell just because they do not share the same beliefs. I continued digging my grave in a conversation went, more or less, like this...except in Spanish (and my Spanish was definitely not as grammatically correct as it appears below):

YuhChic: Do you think that I´m going to hell?

Generally Cool Maestro: Well, not if you believe in Jesus Christ. Do you believe in Jesus Christ? [emphasis added by me because at this point I am thinking, "Holy crap, what have I gotten myself into?"]

YC: . . . .

GCM: Well...?

YC: (clears throat then smiles nervously) I don´t want to insult you because I really do respect your beliefs, but...

GCM: Don´t worry! Please go ahead! We can go and get a cup of coffee and speak outside the school if you like.

YC: Uh, I think I am safer here, because you won´t want to kill me here.

GCM: Er, OK...

YC: Well, it´s like this. I really respect religion and the good things it brings to people´s lives...[more incoherent babble about how much about how religion can be good]...but I really believe that it is important to speak honestly about my how I feel. I believe in Jesus Christ as a man who lived in history, but I do not believe that he was the son of God.

GCM: . . . .

So my teacher basically thinks that I am going to hell. Hee! Actually, the reaction on my teacher´s face after I dropped the "JC wasn´t the hijo de Dios!" bit was a combination of absolute horror and confusion. I think if he could have, he would have either kicked my ass from across the table or thrown Holy Water on me...luckily, I was paying his salary at the time, and thus I was temporarily safe. However, now he is no longer my teacher (another two weeks, another teacher), so I´m keeping all eyes open.

Fun conversations abound in broken Spanish!

3 Comments:

At Tue Mar 21, 10:33:00 AM, Blogger Natalia said...

No, no, Yuh Wen; that's the wrong logic. Now that he knows you don't believe in Christ, he'll want to keep you alive as long as he can.kpu

 
At Tue Mar 21, 12:19:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dude, never, EVER get into a conversation about God with a person who loves God!!!! Just like you never, EVER get into a conversation about abortion and the right to choose with someone who thinks "you can't play God with your body"!!!! It will never turn out well, because it all ends with, "Well, since you don't believe in what I believe in, I think you're going to hell". Lessons learned, sis. Lessons learned....:o)

 
At Fri Mar 24, 03:33:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Are you really going to go on that crazy hike! I love how you keep writing about how you hope the Guatemalan's appreciate their surrounding, as if they don't deserve to live there if they don't.

My response to your exchange with your teacher is this: You've been traveling the world for a while now. Haven't you learned to lie yet Yuh Wen? Aren't you supposed to be getting all worldy and cynical? Just kidding of course, but sheesh. It would be different if you actually did believe in a god that would send you to hell for saying you believed in a different god. But you don't! Just tell the dude what he wants to hear!Now he's probably going to make you his special project. I hope you like Bible readings!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home