Wednesday, August 24, 2005

If moving was a person, I'd give it the finger*

Ever since I was 18, I've moved at least once a year, every single year. That means I have packed up stuff, moved stuff from Old Residence to New Residence, unpacked stuff and attempted to decorate New Residence with said stuff. When I first moved to Chicago, all I had was 2 suitcases, a box, and a Tweety head pillow (that's right...a pillow in the shape of Tweety's head. Got a problem with that, punk?!?). Six years later (despite having lost my Tweety head pillow somewhere in Indiana), I have accumulated way too much crap.

So now it's time to move again. ::Sigh::

I've mostly avoided packing for the last couple of weekends because of my re-discovery of a favorite childhood hobby: napping. Since the beginning of college until a couple of months ago, my naps taken could probably be counted on two hands, I shit thee not. Apparently, I'm regressing into childhood because I waste away perfectly lovely weekend afternoons dozing on my couch or my bed. Each time, I wake up, look around my messy, stuff-filled room, think "Wow, I have a lot of crap to pack...a LOT of crap!", and then roll over to nap for another hour.

Besides my recent napping addiction, I guess it doesn't really help that I actually keep accumulating books (I finally got the Ben Franklin biography by Walter Isaacson! Yesss...I am a dork!). Oh, and the fact that I'm very attached to some of my, er, unnecessary possessions is not making the process any easier (Q: Do I really need a Hello Kitty teacup alarm clock, or a Hello Kitty tissue box cover? A: Yes.). My only consolation this time around is that there is some sort of permanency about moving - my worldly possessions will be at my parents' house in Jersey. Technically, I can just keep my stuff there for the rest of my life. I just have to make sure that they don't sell their house...ever.

If the moving process was personified into some human form, I would seriously flip the bird to that mofo...or maybe just do it behind his/her back in my typically passive aggressive manner. Hee. OK, as demonstrated by the paragraphs above, I know that my hatred of moving is mostly a result of my being a lazy packrat bastard, but I'm banking on a little sympathy from others here! Anybody? Anybody?!?

Is there any abstract or inanimate object/process that you would lay the smackdown to? After moving, I vote laundry and German Dativ.

Damn you, moving, laundry and Dativ. DAMN YOU.



* I realize that this post violates my original pledge that I would not use this forum as an opportunity to complain, but I plead a little sympathy for the devil here. Does anyone really like moving?!?

9 Comments:

At Wed Aug 24, 08:06:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

If the moving process could be anthropomorthized in some way, it would probably come in the form of Paris Hilton......a plague on society, but necessary as an easy scapegoat to all of our ills.....

 
At Thu Aug 25, 10:10:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

AAAAAAAAAARRRRRRGGGGG! I'm still unpacking! Fuck you moving!!!!

However, I am delighted to discover a link to Kenny's well-concealed blog. Heh heh...

 
At Fri Aug 26, 05:56:00 AM, Blogger Natalia said...

Probably the most delightful thing about grad school is that I haven't moved in over two years now. I love it. I love not moving from the bottom of my heart. Ahh, sweet stillness. I'd far rather battle my lard-ass toking bastard neighbor than move.

If I could give the finger to abstract concepts, though, it would be (1) compact shelving and (2) the widespread practice of processing the source of life, i.e. chocolate, with the source of death, i.e. peanuts. Evil.

I'm looking forward to your posts from Ghana. (It is Ghana, right?)

 
At Sat Aug 27, 02:02:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

i'm moving too. this blows balls for i too am a packrat bastard. while i have box upon box (and i thought this move was going to be fairly simple since it is furniture-free--ha!), my roommate has a couple boxes of books. that's it.

yeah, how the hell are you going to pack your entire chicago life into a freaking sedan? you're nuts.

- your soon to be ex-coworker

 
At Mon Aug 29, 06:12:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey YuhChic,
I love your posts!! hahahaha!

looking forward to reading your adventures soon. ;)

PS-I send over some pics for you to carry with you forever and ever...or to accumulate with the other random "crap" that you have :)

 
At Wed Aug 31, 04:48:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

YuhChic, your blog entries have been keeping me from searching for service sector jobs.
Keep your nose clean kid.
Why did you stop at the 23rd?

 
At Wed Aug 31, 04:51:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

bj angulo is really kenny the bastard

 
At Wed Aug 31, 04:51:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

hi i am ed...do you want to e-mail me some pictures?


KG\];
/

 
At Wed Aug 31, 03:39:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

*insomniac babble from the one they call eD(Dy)*

Mmmmm pennies... i find they have a nice acidic tang, not like silver based coins those don't taste like anything.

neithe does the plastic from the barrels on ballpoint pens. unless theyve been stirring coffee. they they taste like coffee.

yes.

you shoudl come to LA then we can all go to Versailles (mmmm) or El Cholo (mmmmmmm) or to a korean bbq (you see where this is going).

that woudl be coolness you shoudl consider it :)

-small e to the capital DDy

 

Post a Comment

<< Home