Thursday, September 01, 2005

What does one do on her last day in Chicago?

(1) Remember to lift with legs, not back.
Gotta remember, legs, NOT BACK! (Ow ow oweeeee...)

(2) Be the first one in line at the Post Office.
For once in my life, I was first for something! My last couple of experiences at the Post Office have offended my liberal sensibilities - every visit was another reason to ask for the privatization of postal services (yes, yes, Liberal Pals, I know privatization doesn't solve everything...I'm just sayin'...). Anyhoo, I was delighted to see that the postal worker assisting me was the Nicest Postal Lady in the History of Postal Ladies ("NPLHPL"), who makes my Friedman-esque tendencies about the USPS melt away like butter in a hot pan each time she helps me. NPLHPL is a southeast Asian immigrant and just the sweetest, most helpful person ever. Today, I commented that I was amazed to be the first customer of the day, because I'm never early for anything. Her response:

"No, that's good! And, well, I don't mean to be rude, but don't people say that being early gets you the bits of the worms?"

So cute! I'll miss you, NPLHPL!

(3) Wonder if God is trying to tell America/World something.
In Imperial China, it was an old Chinese superstition that natural disasters precede the fall of a dynasty. Locusts, earthquakes, monsoons -- that type of thing. It's sort of a silly superstition really, because doesn't it just give license for people to rise up against the rulers again, instead of actually being heavenly indication that the current regime sucks? In any case, I think it's one of those "Olds" that Mao failed to crush during the Cultural Revolution.

This Hurricane Katrina devastation gets the traditional Chinese mindset in me thinking. It's just an awful situation, and I know it sounds empty, but I hope that the folks stuck in the middle of it make it out all right. Beyond the whole "Sugar, We're Goin' Down" mentality that I have going about the US, I often listen to/read the news each morning and think, "Whoa, is God mad at us or something? Is there another tree that he told us not to touch, and somehow we missed that memo?" Damn you, NPR and The Economist, for making me painfully aware of what's going on in the world.

But at least the President determined it was OK to leave vacation early to tend to this Katrina business.

Bye bye, Pax Americana.

(4) Feel a little bittersweet about leaving work.
One of my few hyper-girly traits is my sentimentality (yes, I apologize again for generalizing about my sex). Yesterday was my last day. I think a lot of people would feel happy about leaving their job, but I'm sort of sad about it. I feel bad for not doing more, not helping out the new peeps more, etc. Lots of feeling bad.

Everyone was always really nice to me, and thus stepped up the niceties upon knowing I was leaving. I got a card! And cake! Oh, and bag of Lemonheads (along with some other nice things). It's always nice to move on, but - yeesh - I was one of those kids who used to cry when summer started because I wouldn't see my schoolmates and teacher again. OK, perhaps that was too revelatory. Anyhoo, I will miss my coworkers. And I'm not just writing that because some of them might be reading this blog now. :)

(5) Be reduced to eating contents of refrigerator/pantry.
Mmm, frozen waffles, corn dogs, natural peanut butter, and can of Mandarin oranges!

(6) Packing and cleaning some more!
Dear God, why am I blogging?!?!

...Perhaps more later...

6 Comments:

At Thu Sep 01, 11:14:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ha! You still have that jar of natural PB? Good luck and godspeed on your journey! Email me or give me a call when you get to the promiseland (NJ) and let me know you're not stranded in the wasteland that is Ohio.

 
At Thu Sep 01, 03:21:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

mmm butter from peanuts.

you should get sunflower butter that stuff is good. youc an order itonline even whoa! i discovered it once after a mad adnimated discussin at work over the existence (or non-) of butters made from the fruits of other leguminous plants. indeed sunflower butter exists. so does cashew butter. and almond butter. and hazelnut butter, but peopeo know about that one i think they mix it with choclate and call it nutella.

the only problem with the natural stuff is you get that NASTY reservoir of some kind of fatty grossness floating around on top. not very appetizing. but i suppose its one of things you deal with, like yoghurt sweat, or the toe fungus in blue cheese.

in any event, happy PB consumption and moving. hope all goes well, etcness.

-eDDy

 
At Fri Sep 02, 01:45:00 AM, Blogger Natalia said...

Yuh Wen, I'm sorry to report that you're not the only one who thinks Hurricane Katrina was the hand of God smiting America. Be careful of where this kind of thinking can lead...

I think most post offices in Chicago are pure misery (like peanut butter!), but my local post office, in Elmwood, brightens my day every time I go there, the people are so friendly.

On a side note, I've heard that for some archaic reason, the USPS isn't allowed to own the buildings in which their offices are located, making them really excellent tenants, being fairly permanent and good about paying the rent on time.

 
At Fri Sep 02, 02:12:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I've discovered that you can eliminate the nasty reservoir by storing the jar upside down in the fridge. That doesn't prevent the misery though.

 
At Sat Sep 03, 10:55:00 AM, Blogger YDubL said...

Yes, many a butter does exist at Trader Joe's, eDDy. I've been tempted to try, but only got adventurous enough to try the chunky PB. Julie, excellent tip for the upside-down storage...seems like it might be a bit messy when one is in a rush to get to one's peanut butter?

Natalia, I sincerely apologize for the extensive conversations on the source of death. Can you have cashew butter? :)

 
At Mon Sep 05, 12:22:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yuh Wen is calling me eDDy how rad!!! you're the first in my campaign to restore the old order and put an end to monosyllabicity.

*very stoked*

-eDDy

 

Post a Comment

<< Home